NEW YORK – December 2, 2016 – Ugam, a global leader in managed analytics, today released its study of the peak shopping period from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday. The study analyzes the online pricing and assortment across Amazon, Best Buy, Jet, Target, Toys“R”Us and Walmart for the top 100 trending toys and electronics, to better understand consumer choices and the competitive movement during this period.
Key highlights from the study include:
- Amazon had the highest availability of the top 100 trending electronics, carrying more than 95 percent of the sample during the Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday period. Target.com had the lowest availability, carrying less than 65 percent of the same sample set. Among the trending electronics in the sample were Samsung 4K TVs, Apple iPads and iPhones, Amazon’s E-readers and tablets, and Fitbit activity trackers.
- Amazon was also the lowest-price leader, offering the lowest or same as lowest prices on more than 63 percent of the sample electronics on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday. BestBuy.com was the least price competitive during the analysis period, offering the lowest or same as lowest prices on less than 25 percent of the same sample set.
- Jet had the highest number of products that were out-of-stock during the Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday period. Out of the sample products it carried, 20 percent went out-of-stock on Thanksgiving, 19 percent on Black Friday, and 32 percent on Cyber Monday.
- Average prices for sample electronics that were available across all the five retailers were the lowest on Thanksgiving Day (November 24, 2016).
- Amazon had the highest availability of the top 100 trending sample toys, carrying all 100 throughout the Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday period. Jet had the lowest availability, carrying only 59 percent of the same sample set. Among the trending toys in the sample were Hatchimals by Spin Master, Hasbro Speak Out Game, and LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar.
- Amazon and Walmart.com were the lowest-price leaders on Thanksgiving, offering the lowest prices on 55 percent of the sample toys available on both websites. Amazon continued to offer the lowest prices on more than 60 percent of its sample toy assortment on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Toys“R”Us was least price competitive throughout the analysis period, offering the lowest or same as lowest prices on less than 16 percent of the sample set.
- Jet had the highest number of products that were out-of-stock during the Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday period. Out of the sample products it carried, 14 percent went out-of-stock on Thanksgiving, 10 percent on Black Friday, and 22 percent on Cyber Monday.
- Average prices for sample toys that were available across all the five retailers were the lowest on November 26, 2016.
To determine the Top 100 Trending Products, Ugam first identified the consumer electronics and toys available across major U.S. online retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, Jet, Target, Toys“R”Us, and Walmart. Using its proprietary big data platform, Ugam calculated a popularity score for each product, called the Ugam’s Shopper Intent Index (SII), by aggregating consumer demand data such as search volume, social media signals and online reviews and ratings.
Using the lists of the trending products, Ugam then collected and analyzed detailed assortment and pricing information from those retailers to determine who was selling those products and at what price. These analyses were done daily through the Thanksgiving week, from Nov. 24-28, 2016.
To view the more detailed findings of the study visit: http://www.ugamsolutions.com/blog/key-takeaways-thanksgiving-black-friday-cyber-monday
This analysis is part of Ugam’s third annual Holiday Season report, which features a series of reports and analysis, highlighting insights that matter to retailers and manufacturers during this critical period.
Ugam is a global leader in managed analytics that helps retailers, brands and market research firms transform big data into valuable insights. The company’s unique managed services offering combines a proprietary big data technology platform with deep domain knowledge and analytics expertise to empower clients to make decisions that improve their business. For retailers, online marketplaces, and brands, Ugam supports better merchandising, marketing, and channel management decisions through the use of analytics. For market research firms and insight-based consultancies, Ugam offers a portfolio of solutions including end-to-end research operations, technology transitioning support, and data warehousing, visualization and reporting that enables them to better serve their clients. Five of the top 10 U.S. retailers, many of the world’s largest brands and online marketplaces, and 13 of the top 25 market research firms work with Ugam because of its ability to deliver high-quality insights with unmatched customer experience. www.ugamsolutions.com.
For more details, please contact: